Shawnacy Barber set a new Canadian track and field championships record in the men’s pole vault on Sunday.
The Toronto native leapt 5.60 metres to break the previous record he set in 2014.
Deryk Theodore was second at 5.05 while David Foley took third at 4.90.
In other events Sunday:
- Kimberly Hyacinthe posted the fastest time in the women’s 200 dash. The Terrebonne, Que., native won the race in 22.56 seconds with a 2.6 wind aide. Toronto’s Aaron Brown won the men’s event in 20.11 with a 2.1 wind aide.
- Fiona Benson captured the women’s 800 run in two minutes 8.52 seconds. The Dawson Creek, B.C., native edged out Melissa Bishop and Jessica Smith in the final.
- Corey Bellemore of Windsor, Ont., won the men’s event in 1:51.70. Bellemore’s teammate, Alex Ullman, was edged out by Sacha Smart for second.
- Sarah Wells posted the best time in the women’s 400 hurdles. The Unionville, Ont., native finished the race in 56.03. Montreal’s Gabriel Slythe-Leveille won the men’s 400 hurdles in 51.67.
- Tim Nedow of Brockville, Ont., placed first in the men’s shot put with a 20.53 throw, while James Steacy of Lethbridge, Alta., threw a 71.15 in the men’s hammer throw.
- Jared Kerr of Brampton, Ont., jumped a 7.85 in the men’s long jump with a 1.1 wind aide to win the event.
- Calgary International’s team of Janelle Khan-Nielsen, Teneshia Peart, Amaka Ashiofu and Tegan Wilson raced a 46.56 to win the women’s 4×100 relay races. Capital City Track Club ran uncontested in the women’s 4×400 relay. Daniella Clonfero, Cassandra Grenke, Gracia Muamba and Ashley Whiteman finished in 3:48.02.
- The team of James Linde, Rohan Stewart, Nathan George and Jerome Blake were first in the men’s 4×100 relay in 41.23. Capital City Track Club’s team of Callum Macnab, Braxton Garneau Santiago, Filip Radulovic and Brendan Calef won the men’s 4×400 in 3:19.52.