VAULTER VAULTER

World champion pole vaulter says he inadvertently ingested cocaine

Canadian and former University of Akron pole vaulter Shawn Barber was allowed to compete at the Rio Olympics despite a positive test for cocaine, something Canadian arbitrators concluded he ingested inadvertently.

How does one accidentally use cocaine? According to a ruling released by the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada on Thursday, it all started with a Craigslist ad in the “casual encounters” section.

Barber, the 2015 world champion, rejected a couple people who responded to his post and eventually made plans to meet a woman in an Edmonton hotel room on July 8 as the Canadian Championships were underway. The woman, described using the pseudonym “W” and the first name “Pamela,” said she went into the hotel bathroom and snorted cocaine minutes before Barber entered her room. She also had used the drug hours earlier.

 

Read More

Leave A Comment